- Types of Amazons
- Amazon parrot: how many live in captivity
- Amazon Parrot: Home Content
- How to feed the Amazon Venezuelan
In the 15th century, Amazon parrots appeared in the homes of nobles as pets. They live in South America, Central America and the islands adjacent to them. These birds began to conquer Europe after the voyage of Columbus. Amazons were first discovered in the forests of the Amazon basin, and the Latin name of the genus, Amazona, is associated with this fact. A detailed description of the genus from the parrot family was made only in the 19th century.
Amazons are talented, they skillfully imitate the most diverse sounds:
- crying and laughing man;
- human speech;
- voices of animals;
- sounds extracted from musical instruments – violins, cello and others.
Particularly advanced individuals can memorize up to several hundred words and memorize whole phrases. Amazon parrot easily adapts to new conditions, it is easy to keep at home. The bird can be trained and is able to perform simple tricks.
Amazons are not too shy. They do not hesitate to talk in the presence of strangers and gladly interfere in their conversation. These parrots are mobile and emotional.
The undoubted advantage of the Amazons is the absence of specific pollen on their plumage, which is observed in some representatives of parrots, jaco and cockatoos. Even allergy sufferers can keep this bird at home.
The Amazon parrot is a rather large bird, its body is 25 to 45 cm long. It has a dense physique, a powerful shortened beak, strong legs and a short tail. Wings of medium length do not reach the end of the tail.
The color of the plumage of representatives of this genus is dominated by green, due to which the Amazon parrot is able to mask in the foliage. The bird owes its bright outfit to color fragments, red, blue, yellow, violet and white, on feathers in various parts of the body. Some types of amazons got their name due to these spots. The names of other species and subspecies are associated with the territory of their habitat.
Types of Amazons
The genus of Amazons has 32 species, each species includes several subspecies. Amazons of the same species, living in different geographical areas, may vary in size and color. The population of these birds is steadily declining. Local hunters kill the Amazons because of their delicious meat. Every year, parrots are caught in large quantities and transported to Europe for sale. Two species of Amazona no longer exist, some species and subspecies of Amazons are listed in the Red Book.
Species by color:
- White-faced Amazon (Amazona albifrons);
- Wine-chested Amazon (Amazona vinecea);
- Green-cheeked Amazon (Amazona viridigenalis);
- Yellow-headed Amazon (Amazona oratrix);
- Yellow-faced Amazon (Amazona ochrocephala);
- Yellow-shouldered Amazon (Amazona barbadensis);
- Yellow Frenzied Amazon (Amazona xantholora);
- Yellow-necked Amazon (Amazona auropalliata);
- Red-throated Amazon (Amazona arausiaca);
- Red-faced Amazon (Amazona autumnalis);
- Red-tailed Amazon (Amazona brasiliensis);
- Sinilica amazon (Amazona versicolor);
- Blue-faced Amazon (Amazona aestiva);
- Blue Capped Amazon (Amazona finschi);
- Blue-faced Amazon (Amazona dufresniana);
- Black-eared Amazon (Amazona ventralis).
- Venezuelan Amazon (Amazona amazonica);
- Cuban Amazon (Amazona leucocephala);
- Puerto Rican Amazon (Amazona vittata);
- Surinamese Amazon (Amazona ochracephala);
- Tucuman Amazon (Amazona tucumana);
- Jamaican yellow-billed Amazon (Amazona collaria);
- Jamaican black-billed Amazon (Amazona agilis).
- Amazon Muller (Amazona farinosa);
- Imperial Amazon (Amazona imperialis);
- Royal Amazon (Amazona guildingii);
- Festive Amazon (Amazona festiva);
- Luxurious Amazon (Amazona pretrei);
- Soldier Amazon (Amazona mercenaria);
- Amazona kawalli;
- Amazona rhodocorytha.
- Martinique Amazon (Amazona martinica);
- Purple Amazon (Amazona violacea).
Amazon parrot: how many live in captivity
Types of amazons commonly found at home:
- but. Mueller;
- Venezuelan a;
- Yellow-necked a.
- Blue-cheeked a.
- Bell-faced a.
- Festival a.
The larger the parrot, the more extended the life span for him. Amazons live 50-60 years. The life of a Amazon parrot at home directly depends on the conditions of its maintenance.
Amazon Parrot: Home Content
The parrot needs a spacious cage, a balanced diet and active leisure. Equally important for the health of Amazon are temperature and insolation. The owner is obliged to provide his pet with comfortable conditions and deal with him.
Conditions of care and maintenance:
- Cell. The cage must be spacious so that the parrot can fly in it. The minimum dimensions are 70x60x80. 2 mm thick rods and a strong lock will not allow the Amazon to break free.
- Wet air. Inhabitants of rainforests react poorly to the dry air in the apartment, their feathers dry out and break. Start an aquarium or use humidifiers.
- Bathing. You can bathe a parrot using a spray bottle, spraying it once a week. After spraying, be sure to dry the plumage with a hairdryer, expose the bird to the sun, or just leave it alone for 2 hours to spread its wings and dry the inner feathers. Features of the plumage of Amazon – the lack of protective "powder" on the feathers. When swimming, the feathers get very wet and if they are not dry, they will begin to rot and smell bad. The parrot will be nervous and lose feathers.
- Air temperature. Constantly maintain the air temperature in the room at the level of 22 – 25 ° C. Do not put the cage in the draft so as not to catch a cold.
- Nutrition. Include fruits in your parrot’s diet daily. Under natural conditions, in its habitat, fruits are available year-round. Tree branches located in the accessibility zone of the parrot will help him maintain his beak in the right shape.
- First appearance in the house. You can begin to teach a parrot to the house 2 weeks after its acquisition. In the room, close all doors and windows, remove all pets and let the chick out of the cage. Let him walk on the floor and get acquainted with the situation. If the bird does not want to return back to the cage, use the net. Be careful not to scare the parrot.
- Taming the Amazon chick. The bird makes easy contact. It’s enough not to frighten or offend her. First we teach the chick to the hand, then he will begin to take food from the palms, and then he will sit fearlessly on the hand. It is convenient to use special sticks with a sharp tip. At the end of the sticks, a piece of feed is planted and brought to the bird. Gradually, the wand is shortened, and the chick approaches hands.
- Leisure. It is necessary to place a lot of toys in the cage. Moving birds will entertain themselves day and night. The parrot will be happy to hang upside down on the perch, examine itself in the mirror, and drag the wheel with its beak.
- Training. Amazons are able to remember up to 100 words, it is interesting to communicate with them; the parrot is able to express emotions, the intelligence of some species corresponds to the level of development of a 3-year-old child. You need to do it for 15 minutes twice a day, enclosing the bird from extraneous sounds. First, learn sounds with your pet, then simple monosyllabic words. Young birds learn faster. Female high voices of birds perceive better.
Amazons can live alone. With proper education, they will not show aggression. If you had no previous experience with parrots, you should pay attention to the Venezuelan Amazon. It is relatively inexpensive and unpretentious, easily tamed, it gets along well with young children.
Some tips for choosing a Venezuelan Amazon parrot
- When purchasing a parrot, give preference to a young individual (5 months); it will be easier to establish contact with him.
- In a young parrot, the iris is brown, the plumage is faded.
- The beak of a parrot of this breed should be dark in color, brown or black.
- There should be yellow spots on the forehead and cheeks.
- Around the eyes the skin is blue-violet.
- The undertail is red.
- On the wings there are yellow and red feathers.
- It is impossible to distinguish a female from a male, but the ability of parrots to learn does not depend on the gender of the bird.
How to feed the Amazon Venezuelan
Like all Amazons, this type of parrot loves fruit. You can purchase a special feed that contains all the trace elements and vitamins necessary for the normal development of the bird.
- In nature, the parrot also eats flower and leaf buds, flowers; he enjoys gnawing twigs of fruit trees. These "delicacies" can be offered to a domestic parrot.
- In the spring, the pet will enjoy the dandelion flowers with pleasure, and in the summer you can dig out the roots of the dandelion and add them to the feed.
In captivity, Amazon is limited in movement and may suffer from obesity. Do not overfeed him, the parrot likes to eat, but he needs only 50 g of food per day.
- porridge cooked on water;
- dried fruits (soaked in water);
- bean (boiled);
- fruits vegetables;
- baby food (fruit and vegetable puree, juices);
- fresh berries.
Because of their high calorie content, sunflower seeds often should not be given. Nuts are given in limited quantities.
Amazons are more miniature compared to the Jacot parrot and remember less words. On the other hand, they are not so aggressive, easier to train and forge relationships with family members and pets.