It is believed that budgies are omnivores, so the owners, wanting to pamper their feathered pet, give him different foods. But quite often, such culinary experiments can cause irreparable harm to the health of the bird. To prevent this from happening, you need to know how to feed the budgerigar at home.
Imitation Birds: Basic Care Rules
Keeping a budgerigar at home is not too troublesome, and even a schoolboy can do it. For this reason, children often make feathered friends. It is enough to hang a mirror for the bird, periodically remove the cage and feed it correctly.
But about the last point, experts give special recommendations:
- Always make sure that the parrot feeder is not empty. Wavy representatives of the winged have a feature – increased metabolism. Due to the fact that the resulting food is processed twice as fast, it is worth increasing the daily feeding. Two to three teaspoons a day will be enough.
- Regularly, and preferably once a day, you need to change the water in the drinker. It is always necessary to ensure that the parrots have clean water. Fresh birds should not be given fresh tap water. Consider the fact that it can contain a lot of impurities and chlorine.
- Carefully consider the feathered pet’s diet. For health and well-being, budgies are not enough just grain feed. Their food should be varied and include fresh herbs, vegetables and fruits.
These funny birds "got" to us from distant Australia, where they are caught and transported on ships around the world. Given the fact that in the wild, budgies are used to eating cereals, herbs, and leaves
trees, the choice of feed should be approached thoroughly. Of course, in our cities it is difficult to find plants close to the Australian steppes, but there are completely interchangeable species. So, budgies will be happy to eat millet, hemp or flaxseeds, sesame and sunflower seeds.
- white, red or yellow millet – 65% of the main volume;
- oats or oatmeal – 20%;
- canary seed – 5%;
- small additional seeds like sunflower, hemp or sesame seeds – about 5%;
- mineral supplements – another 5%.
Having bought a standard pack of food, follow what grains your pet prefers. And in the future, buy the food that contains a higher percentage of these seeds. In addition, when buying dry food, you should pay attention not only to the composition, but also to the quality of the feed. Ask the seller to open the box and make sure that the food does not smell rot and all the grains are hard and smooth.
Mineral nutrition and not only
In addition to branded food, budgies can be pampered with foods that we ourselves are happy to eat. Among fresh vegetables and fruits, there are practically no restrictions. The exception is only some of them, for example:
- onions, garlic and radishes;
- celery and eggplant;
- too spicy or spicy vegetables;
- mango, avocado;
- papaya and persimmon.
But with green things are somewhat different. The fact is that this addition is simply necessary for wavy favorites. But here’s the trouble: parsley, cilantro, familiar to humans, and parrot dill will not like it. You will have to try a little and find such greens:
- wood lice or clover;
- grapes, beets or quinoa;
- spinach and lettuce leaves;
- carrot tops or plantain leaves;
- young twigs with buds.
As an alternative to how to feed budgies other than food, it is worth considering protein foods of animal origin. It is also necessary for the life of domestic birds, but it is recommended to give such food no more than 2-3 times a month.
Parrots readily peck from protein:
- cool boiled eggs;
- homemade fatty cottage cheese;
- goat cheese;
- small crustaceans called gammarus.
Every day you can pamper your pet with home-made cereals. Most of all parrots like peas, buckwheat and rice, oatmeal and lentils. Mineral additives such as chalk, sepia, fine sand, bone meal, charcoal and crushed egg shells cannot be ignored.
But it is better not to abuse special vitamins, but to give them in extremely rare cases or in seasons of reduced immunity, for example, in winter and early spring. It is strictly forbidden to give budgies to chocolate, salt, sugar, meat and mushrooms. It is necessary to limit the consumption of bread, milk and nuts.
In conclusion, I would like to recall that there is nothing in common between a parrot and a person. And although these birds can easily imitate human speech, this fact does not bring the birds closer to a rational race by one gram. Therefore, do not give the bird everything that is on your table if you wish it a long and happy life. Better to buy a good balanced food, and sometimes indulge in fresh vegetables and fruits.
Budgies than feed at home photo