Maybe you have plans to make a talking feathered friend? Or is someone already tweeting in the house? Then listen and remember: it is very important to make a competent and varied diet for a parrot, to choose high-quality food, otherwise it can seriously affect your health. After all, the stable body temperature of the bird is kept at 40 ° C, which means that the metabolism is very active. Well, share the secrets of how to pick up food and not make a mistake.
What is the difference between feed?
Firstly, at a price, but precisely because of its cheap feed, it may be poorer in composition. Respectively expensive feeds contain more vitamins, cereal filling is more diverse and cleaner in appearance (but we can only compare feed manufacturers from one country).
Should pay attention to:
- Dry or grain feed. Such feeds can consist of a variety of impurities of grains and seeds, whether it is oatmeal, millet, canary seed, wheat, unpeeled oats, some types of sowing seeds, and so on. In such feeds are high in carbohydrates, minerals and various nutrients.
IMPORTANT: some hosts soften dry grains so that the parrot will digest them better. This is not prohibited.
- Sprouted cereals. This is a storehouse of useful trace elements for your bird. The rules for soaking such a feed are not very complicated: you should put a small amount of grains in hot water for 12 hours until they completely swell, then put it on a day or two to germinate directly. At this time, small sprouts will appear on the grains, which attract birds. There is one caveat in such gardening: if you grow grains a little, they will immediately turn green and lose their energy value. In this case, it is better to leave them and make green food.
- Green feed. Such an additive is replete with natural natural components: amino acids, minerals and, of course, vitamins, which will positively affect the digestion of your parrot. Leaves of sorrel, lettuce, spinach, dandelion, knotweed, plantain, wormwood, young nettle, alfalfa are offered as green food. In summer, birds can be given birch, as well as oak, alder, willow, elderberry, aspen, lime, cherry or apple twigs with leaves. All you need is to wait until the kidneys swell, and then rinse and scald with boiling water. In winter they are more difficult to find, but treating the bird is also possible. But it must be borne in mind that all plants should be collected away from carriageways and carefully processed.
IMPORTANT: Do not forget to clean the cage of the leftover food!
Feed Verification Rules:
- First, open the package with food, pour it into the container and check for the presence of foreign particles (feces of rodents, flies or spiders, frankly spoiled grains, mold)
- By smell, we determine the freshness of the feed, whether there is a feeling of musty
- Some veterinarians recommend trying to sprout seeds. If the seeds are 90% sprouted, it means the food is fresh, it was stored correctly and it contains many useful trace elements. But if the seeds sprouted badly and reluctantly, then draw conclusions that the feed is old, the seeds are dead and there will be no benefit from them for your parrot.
What should not be given to parrots:
These plants are strictly prohibited for birds, as they are equivalent to poison!
Can I give parrots vegetables, fruits, berries, nuts?
We answer: yes, it is possible. Many fruits are easily absorbed by the avian organism, such as: pear, apple, plum, pumpkin pulp, grated carrots, cabbage or beets (boiled egg is added here), kiwi, mango. All fruits must be heat-treated and only then treated to the bird, because the ventricle is very tender.
If you want to treat the bird with dried fruit, then apples are best for this. Dried fruits must be soaked in water for 3-4 hours, and only then treat your pet.
Add to diet bananas it is possible, but since they contain a lot of carbohydrates, the piece should be small.
There are exceptions to this plant list: watermelons. Watermelons cause an upset bowel, which could result in death.
Berries that can be given to birds:
very little bird cherry, as it has astringent properties.
It’s no secret that parrots are very fond of nuts. They are very similar in composition to seeds, so they can be safely added to the feed, only you should grind them first.
Yes, imagine, porridge can also be given to a bird. In fact, these are the same cereals soaked in water. It must be borne in mind that cooking porridge is necessary without salt and sugar and only on water!
Which porridge to choose? Mixtures of several types of cereals, as well as mono porridge, eg, oatmeal, brown rice, buckwheat. Add some nuts or seeds to the porridge, grated fruits on a fine grater.
It is recommended to store such porridge no more than 2 days, otherwise it will become hard and too viscous, having lost its useful properties.
And now the most important: feed rate
On the day, a small budgie should eat about 20 grams of food. However, the approach should still be individual. The amount may depend on the mood of the pet, on the temperature of the room in which the cage is located (the colder, the more food will be needed), on the state of health.
Budgerigars always make it a rule to eat at first all the tastiest: juicy seeds, fruits, leaving cereals for later. But do not immediately clean the cage from the remnants, give the bird time, and then fill up a new portion.
Feeding a parrot in winter:
Unfortunately, in the winter on the shelves it is difficult to find decent fruits that are rich in vitamins. You can run into pesticide-treated fruits. These can not be given not only to a parrot, but to a person. Therefore, in any case, carefully look at the fruit peel (it should not be glazed) and process the fruit with boiling water after purchase.
Rule to be followed year-round: do not overdo feeding, otherwise, your bird can gain weight, and this is bad for your health.
And finally, the most important thing: as you already understood, feeding a parrot should not be reduced to just dry food. Try to diversify his diet, and then your bird will twitter all year round and delight you with its beauty and health.