- What do budgerigars eat?
- Parrot porridge
- How to choose food for a budgie?
- Prohibited Parrot Products
After the parrot has settled in a new cage, it is worth considering its diet. It is from this that the health of the bird and the beauty of the plumage will depend. Each owner of a feathered pet should correctly choose food and feed.
What do budgerigars eat?
In the natural environment, budgies will search for food on their own and choose it depending on the time of year. They prefer seeds of small plants and besiege large fields in farm fields. In the drought season, a lot of birds die because of hunger. But the pet bird will live for a long time, especially if you understand exactly what the budgerigar can be, and what is better not to give.
Extra food is given to budgies during the nesting season. At this time, the birds need additional energy, which is contained in the herbs and shoots of fruit trees. Vegetables and fruits should also be present in the feeder of the budgie, but they must be given consciously and in moderation. Birds cannot choose products that are harmful to them, so they are easily etched.
Thirst birds quench ordinary water. You will have to purchase a filter to avoid the negative effects of impurities contained in tap water. Too cold a liquid can cause a cold, and a warm liquid will not quench your thirst. Professionals recommend purchasing a thermometer and giving water, the temperature of which is 15-18 degrees.
If you pour a lot of grain into the feeder, then the parrot will begin to get fat. Overfed birds stop flying and move a little. Even parrots are allowed to feed with cereals, they eat them with special pleasure.
Before you cook porridge, it must be thoroughly washed with boiled water. Only after this the cereal is put on fire and cooked until cooked. The longest languishing rice and millet, it is important that the porridge was fully cooked. It is allowed to combine cereals, creating assorted. Such porridge will appeal to any feathered pet.
For this dish you have to purchase a separate feeder, do not mix porridge with dry grain. For a parrot, no more than two teaspoons of porridge are put per day. For a change, you can add pieces of allowed fruits and vegetables to it. Sometimes parrots do not eat porridge, then it is lured with grain, scattered on boiled cereals.
How to choose food for a budgie?
Good budgerigar feeds
In the Russian market there are many suppliers and manufacturers’ own firms that are ready to feed feathered pets at different prices. But still it is worth highlighting the most conscientious manufacturers of food for budgies:
- Rio – the composition includes the crops needed for the growth and development of the parrot. There are even algae and rare seeds of Abyssinian nougat. The price of feed is from 80 to 150 rubles;
- NaturalMix costs about 160-180 rubles, but in this feed there are no harmful additives for budgies;
- Vitakraft Premium Menu is a quality product that contains pure grains and nutritional supplements such as honey and cod liver oil. You will have to pay about 300 rubles for a pack of feed;
- GrandMix is a good product for 250 rubles, but the composition contains colored grains and additives from cookies. They are better to choose before pouring food to your pet.
Before buying, you should pay attention to the tightness of the pack and the expiration date. Do not be too lazy to smell the food that will eat a domestic parrot. The unpleasant smell of rot indicates unsuitability of food.
Poor budgerigar feed
Unfortunately, not all manufacturers comply with elementary production standards. There are also those that add chemical additives and harmful substances that can harm a small bird. Here are the manufacturers whose feeds cannot be considered suitable for eating by budgies:
- TRILL is a medicinal feed with a high iodine content, you can not use it as a main product for every day. Manufacturers do not report this, because of this many budgies are dying;
- Nectar – only cardboard is used as packaging. Without an airtight bag, the grain is rotting and is an excellent medium for the propagation of parasites;
- Papurka is the cheapest food on the Russian market, but it is not an indicator of quality. Chemical additives, dust, low-quality grain – all this is contained in this box for feeding a feathered friend;
- Merry parrot with dry fruits – packs contain harmful products for parrots.
Only the vigilance of the owner will help to avoid trouble. Care must be taken to ensure that the defenseless budgerigar pours out of the pack into the trough.
Prohibited Parrot Products
“We are responsible for the one we tamed” – this is a famous phrase from the famous fairy tale “The Little Prince”. Budgies, Corella birds and other exotic birds are illegible in food. They do not independently exclude harmful foods from their diet. Therefore, it is important to monitor what gets into the cage of a feathered pet, especially if there are small children in the house.
Here is a list of foods that budgies cannot be eaten:
- Salt is the strongest poison for parrots, the product penetrates the internal organs and destroys them.
- Sugar causes diabetes, which kills the bird.
- Bread negatively affects the digestive system, causing severe pain.
- Seeds and nuts – this is too fatty product, the liver of a small bird may not withstand such a load.
- Dairy products cause dysbiosis.
- Sausages and chocolate are very harmful foods.
- Potatoes, mangoes, dill, onions, persimmons, garlic are also prohibited products.
Many owners love to feed their pets out of their mouths. This is not worth it, since human saliva contains a large number of microbes, which are dangerous for budgies.
Budgerigars eat everything, but forbidden foods should not be forgotten. It is best to feed the feathered pet with high-quality feed, cereals and healthy fruits and vegetables.