Budgerigars are very active birds, in the wild they manage to quickly adapt to weather and territorial conditions. Therefore, the daily diet of wild wavy is extremely diverse: fresh shoots / buds of trees and shrubs, grass seeds and all kinds of grains from farm fields, fruits, berries, and as a drink, if there are no ponds nearby, the parrots are content with dew or juicy fruits and young grass.
Wild budgerigars instinctively keep their bodies in good shape, but domestic birds are completely dependent on our knowledge about the proper nutrition of parrots. It will be useful for the owner to learn how to feed the budgerigar, in addition to the standard food.
At home, the diet of a parrot should also adhere to diversity.
Consider in more detail the menu of the domestic budgerigar:
- Grain food is the main component in the diet of a parrot. An adult is enough 2 teaspoons of grain per day. But it happens that a bird needs a little more grain – everything is very individual.
Budgerigar parrots are peeling every grain, so the appearance of a complete feeder may appear, although in reality it is already empty.
Grain mixture must be in the trough constantly.
- Germinated food is a very useful and rich in vitamins "live" product. In this form, the grain is very well absorbed, and the bird receives a huge amount of macro- and microelements, as well as vitamins.
Unlike everyday food, the mixture for soaking by components has a more complex composition: chickpeas, mung bean, green and red lentils, oats, wheat, alfalfa, barley, rape, safflower, millet, sunflower seeds, vetch, sorghum, sesame, buckwheat , Chumiz and Mogar.
How many times a week to give germinated food depends on the age of the parrot: before the first molt. 1 teaspoon 2 times a week, after it. less often, since swollen nutrient grains stimulate the production of sex hormones.
Flax and hemp seeds should not participate in soaking!
- Mineral mixture – necessary for the proper formation of the skeleton and feathers. It is an indispensable tool in improving the digestion of poultry.
During molting, sulfur should be added to the mixture (for 2 teaspoons of the mineral mixture – a small pinch of sulfur).
The constant presence of the mixture in a separate feeder (2-3 teaspoons with a replacement every 1-2 weeks).
- Mineral stone and sepia (cuttlefish carapace) – enrich the body of the parrot with calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and the bird willingly grinds its beak about them.
- Porridge – establish a metabolism, a rich source of trace elements, cook on water (buckwheat / oatmeal / oatmeal / lentils – cook for 10 minutes, but you can also steam, pearl barley – 30min., Barley / corn / wheat / millet / rice – 20min.) . Calculation: 2 teaspoons per bird, porridge should be warm, be in a separate feeder. Feed 3 times a week.
- Fruits and vegetables are an indispensable source of vitamins. Here you will find a complete list of allowed budgerigar products. You can feed them several times a day.
7. Greens – carrot tops, peas, hedgehog, blackberry, strawberry leaves, willow tea, canary, chicken millet, flax, foxtail, mung bean, woodlice, clover, bluegrass, oats, dandelion, shepherd’s bag, nasturtium, perennial chaff, plantain , bog marsh, millet, wheat, creeping wheat grass, chamomile, lettuce, leaf lettuce, chickweed, knotweed, timothy, chicory, spring and autumn willow leaves, thin branches of young trees with buds and leaves. In the cold season, you can use the food of your parrot to grow fresh herbs.
If you are not sure whether it is possible to give this or that grass to a parrot – do not give.
The list of herbs that parrots cannot: basil, St. John’s wort, cilantro, onion, buttercup, parsley, tansy, wormwood, celery, yarrow, dill, horsetail, celandine, sorrel, hyssop.
8. Branches of fruit trees – budgerigars lovers gnaw at everything and this will be the best and most useful option for them.
Mines should be mined away from roads and industrial areas. Soak the branches at home for 4 hours in water, wash well and pour over boiling water. Using any cleaning products is life threatening to the bird. There should be no tar on the branches.
You can branch: apple trees, currants, mountain ash, alder, citrus, birch, linden, maple, willow, chestnut, cherry, alder, mountain ash, plum, viburnum, beech, hornbeam, hawthorn, sea buckthorn, red chokeberry and hazel.
You can not give branches: lilac, elderberry, conifers, bird cherry, acacia, coffee tree and oak.
9. Goodies – to indulge our pets is only natural products.
What you can feed: red millet in the ears of wheat, chumiza, paiza, mogar and Senegalese millet. If you give in excess – the bird will refuse to eat food, and will only wait for treats. If it is a spikelet, then a day it is enough to give one small twig-ball.
Categorically it is impossible: nuts, cones, seeds and grains (some of them are present in the main feed, but in a minimal amount, since they are very nutritious and contain fats and affect the liver and gastrointestinal tract to a greater extent). Also, do not buy all kinds of sticks (egg, honey, grain) – they contain a lot of sugar, dyes, dry vitamins, preservatives and grain of dubious quality.
You can give: Trixie Mauser-tropfen, Beaphar Mauser Tropfen, Beaphar Lebensvitamine Vinka or Vita Sol Multi Vitamin.
Before the first molt, vitamins are not recommended for a budgie!
11. Water is an essential component of bird nutrition. Water should be clean, fresh and always present in the drinker.
Now, knowing how to feed the budgerigar at home, you can easily make the best option for a tasty and healthy menu for the bird.
What can not feed budgies
List of prohibited products: salt, sugar, bread, nuts and seeds, milk, dairy products, cheese, sausage, meat, fish, mushrooms, coffee, chocolate, chips, alcohol, banned fruits, vegetables and herbs, canned foods, boiled foods vegetables, food from the mouth of a person.
The diet of small chicks before the first molting (3-4 months) differs only in that a boiled egg and cottage cheese are added, as well as, in much larger quantities, germinated grain.
The digestive system of the budgerigar is designed to digest grains and assimilate the bark of young trees, grass, fruits and berries, if your bird receives all these components – good health and cheerful chirping of the budgerigar, you are guaranteed for many years.