- Budgie diet
- Forbidden products
Below are the feeds of foreign manufacturers, which are distinguished by excellent quality:
- XtraVital (Netherlands),
- Fiory (Italy),
- Prestige (Belgium),
- Sluis (Holland),
- Vitakraft (Germany),
- and many others other
Among domestic products, you can also choose an excellent feed.
Consider the daily diet when feeding a grain mixture:
- food for budgies – 1-2 teaspoons,
- for medium-sized birds – 3 tbsp. spoons
- for large – 4 tbsp. spoons and more.
The parrot should eat all the proposed food, only after that add a new portion to it. It is worth noting that one grain feed is not enough, your feathered pets need additional food.
The curd mixture at room temperature quickly deteriorates. Therefore, after half an hour, such food should be thrown into the trash.
Energy for people and animals comes from carbohydrates and vitamins. Basically, they are found in foods of plant origin, which is easily absorbed by the body. Plant foods for parrots are divided into vegetable, fruit, berry, cereal (this includes seeds), nut and branch.
Vegetables, fruits, berries
Wavy can also be fed with berries (fresh, dried or steamed):
From vegetables, parrots can be given turnips, beets, pumpkins, zucchini, bell peppers – all fresh. Parrots adore pulp and tomato seeds. But this fruit must be ripe, because in the unripe – solanine poison is present. Beans, peas, corn should be young when they are filled with “milk” juice.
Organic vegetables grown in your own garden and not containing pesticides are preferable.
To give salad and spinach in small doses so as not to cause intestinal upset in winged friends.
Grains and seeds
Other permitted grains include: wheat, buckwheat, barley. Sometimes it is possible to add several seeds of meadow herbs, as well as sesame, rapeseed, canary, hemp, flaxseed, Abyssinian nougat, sunflower and pumpkin seeds to the pet’s diet.
Bad grain will float to the surface, good grain will remain at the bottom.
When the seeds are swollen, leave them for a couple of days to germinate. The sprouts that appear are very useful. It is important to ensure that the grain does not have very long shoots, because they have more valuable substances than in the green "thickets".
Vitamins and Mineral Supplements
As for minerals, they are of two types:
- organic (chalk, sepia, shell rock, bone meal, activated charcoal, eggshell) – are the source of calcium,
- inorganic (gastrolites) – normalize digestion.
Tablets of gluconate and calcium glycerophosphate are also useful for poultry. You can buy them at a veterinary clinic or pharmacy. Without vitamins and minerals, the body of parrots will not be able to function normally.
The main thing is that there should be clean and fresh water in the drinker. You can sometimes add a couple of drops of lemon juice to it.
What can’t parrots eat? It:
- Millet – as it can develop gastrointestinal disease in birds.
- Exotic fruits such as persimmons, mangoes, avocados can cause intoxication in birds.
- Melons and watermelons can provoke a pet bowel disorder, which threatens to kill him.
- Forbidden vegetables include: radish, radish, daikon, eggplant, celery, garlic, onions.
- Remember – Chinese-made cabbage contains nitrates that are hazardous to health.
- You should also know that some plants have a detrimental effect on the body of birds. Therefore, parrots can not be fed parsley, dill, hyssop, celery, cilantro and other spices.
- Do not give your birds the branches of oak, bird cherry, lilac, acacia, poplar. It is extremely rare to offer a budgie a branch of coniferous trees.
- Roasted seeds are dangerous for parrots. Do not risk your feathered life.
- Peanuts are included in most ready-made feeds, so you do not need to give them extra, since the film of unpeeled nuts is often affected by mold.
- Fresh bread is strictly contraindicated for birds. But treat crackers with white bread more often than their winged friends.
Thus, choosing the optimal food for parrots, your pets will eat it with pleasure and feel great. After all, the health and happiness of your pet is directly dependent on proper nutrition.