- Cereal mixes
- Fruits and vegetables
- Sprouted feed
- Mineral supplements
- Is cheese, bread, and other products possible for a budgie?
- What can not feed budgies
Budgies are unpretentious poultry that can brighten up a mundane and boring environment. With their maintenance, it is worth considering in detail – from the place of detention to feeding. If you want a feathered pet to please with tweets and cooing for a long time, then it is better to create all the necessary conditions for his stay. For this reason, it is important first of all to consider how to feed the budgerigar correctly and how. The good health of the bird, as well as its beautiful appearance, will depend on this.
The diet of the budgerigar should include grain mixtures, they are its important component. At the same time, for wavy men, the presence of various types of this food in the menu is required. In these breeds of birds, an enhanced metabolism is observed, which is able to quickly digest grain feed.
The daily menu of a feathered pet should include the following crops:
- millet of various types – red, white, black, yellow. The indicator of the component should be 70% of the total;
- oats. Its volume should be at least 10%;
- sunflower seeds, flaxseed, hemp and canary seed, wheat. The number of crops should be 20%.
Many owners of feathered pets often have a question – is it possible to give millet? This type of crop does not have a shell that prevents oxidation, and it can have a harmful effect on health.
Also in millet, unlike millet, there are fewer vitamins and nutrients that are required for the active development and strengthening of the health of birds. And if it is not fresh or lies for a long time, then it will have a bitter taste, which the wavy will not like very much.
Important! It is possible to give millet to parrots, but in a limited amount, it is better to boil it first. If they feed the bird for more than a week, then it may have digestive problems, and vitamin deficiency may also occur.
What else can you feed a budgie at home except for grain feed? Additionally, it can be mixed with boiled eggs, herbs, fresh grass. They will saturate the food with vitamins and nutrients.
You can read more about grain mixtures and feeds in the article “TOP-10 best feeds for budgies”.
Fruits and vegetables
A full and balanced feeding of budgies should include different types of fruits and vegetables. It is recommended to give them clean, so they should be washed in running water. They must be natural, without toxic chemicals.
Feed should be fresh vegetables and fruits. If they begin to rot or mold appears on their surface, then it is better not to give them to feathered pets. They can negatively affect their health.
Among vegetables in the menu, you can include varieties from the list:
- carrot fodder species. Vegetable is of high value. It has a lot of carotene. It is given in raw, grated or finely chopped form. Additionally, you can combine with a boiled egg or breadcrumbs;
- parrots love melon, pumpkin. They can also be given raw pumpkin seeds, but they should be ground;
- cucumbers. Vegetables cause an acceleration of metabolism. They can be used as part of a diet when a feathered pet will be overweight;
- Tomatoes The composition of tomatoes includes acids, carotene. Budgerigars are recommended to give fully ripened tomatoes, in unripened fruits there is a dangerous alkaloid element, which is dangerous not only for birds, but also for humans;
- fresh cabbage. Leaves can be torn into small pieces, and the stump should be cut with a knife into small pieces;
- beet. The root crop has sugar, fiber, vitamins, and trace elements. Vegetables are a must for birds. It can be stored for a long time;
- green peas, beans are allowed to the birds. Legumes should be fresh, soft and young;
- Bell pepper. It has a high level of nutrients. It needs to be cut into small pieces along with the seeds.
In addition to the above vegetables, the menu should also include fruits. They need to be given only fresh. They should not contain chemicals that can cause problems with the health of birds.
Among the fruits, the menu can include the following types:
- apples are valuable for parrots. They need to be given every day;
- pears are considered a delicious treat. But giving them is not too much;
- a sufficient number of oranges and tangerines. Citrus fruits have a high level of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), so they must be given to birds;
- You can bananas, but not many. They can not be given with the skin;
- feathered pets will happily eat peaches and apricots;
- to increase the immune system, periodically give kiwi, but only without skin.
You can read more about fruits and vegetables in the article “What fruits and vegetables can be given to budgies.”
To improve the nutrition of the budgerigar, it is recommended to use green food. It is one of the main components, because greens contain important useful substances that improve health and strengthen the immune system of a feathered pet.
So what kind of grass and greens can be given to budgies? In the diet of birds, there must necessarily be types of greenery from the list:
- tops from beets, carrots;
- chicory salad;
- radish leaves;
It is worth considering that there is forbidden greens, which should not be included in the nutrition of birds:
- tops of potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant;
- all varieties of decorative flowers;
- leaves of parsley;
Many feathered owners, who are often interested in the question of how to properly feed the budgerigar, pay attention to the fact that their diet must have branches of various trees. Branch feed has several advantages:
- parrots clean and sharpen their beak on twigs;
- with the help of his birds improve the condition of the claws;
- has a positive effect on health due to the content of fiber and various trace elements.
Preference should be given to branches from maple, fruit trees, aspen, birch, alder. Before giving them to the pet, it should be treated with hot water.
Studying what the budgies eat, it is worth taking into account cereals from various cereal crops. They quickly saturate the body, and also fill it with useful substances.
Porridge and various cereals have some important features:
- they contain important trace elements that normalize impaired metabolism;
- in order to make porridge, you can use buckwheat, beans, rice and others. They can be used together or separately;
- in addition, you can add legumes, finely chopped vegetables, fruits;
- boil porridge is recommended only in water without adding salt and sugar;
- they can be stored in the refrigerator, but not more than two days.
Germinated feed is nutritious, for this reason it can be used to replace grain mixtures. It contains a high level of fiber and healthy vitamins. Due to the balanced composition when eating this food, the immunity increases in birds, the metabolism returns to normal, and malfunctions in the body are restored.
If you do not know how to feed a budgie, then sprouted food will be a great option. The main thing is to sprout grains correctly:
- for cooking, it is recommended to select grains;
- then washed under running water;
- grains are poured with warm water and left overnight;
- then the seeds are washed again, laid out on a saucer and covered with wet gauze, which folds 3-4 times;
- every 4 hours gauze needs to be moistened;
- after 24 hours, the first sprouts will already appear;
Sprouted seeds can immediately be given to a parrot. You can store them no more than 2 days.
Be sure to feed the budgie with mineral additives. Among suitable are the following:
The budgerigar in the drinker should always have clean water. It must be changed periodically, otherwise it will become dirty and simply will not be suitable for drinking. But you need to know what water to give the budgerigar.
Feeding pets are not recommended to give boiled, raw water, as well as mineral water. It must be filtered and cleaned. It should contain useful additives – potassium, magnesium, sodium. Additionally, freshly squeezed juices, lemon juice, a decoction of chamomile and rosehip can be added to the water.
Is cheese, bread, and other products possible for a budgie?
Additionally, food of animal origin can be included in the diet of a parrot. But it is rarely required to be given, at least 2-3 times a month. But in the period of molting, nesting and for feeding offspring, protein feed should be used more often – daily.
Protein foods include:
- cheese. It is worth using fermented milk with low fat content;
- chicken eggs. From time to time, you can give a parrot a boiled egg;
- fish fat;
- cottage cheese. If you have a question whether curd can be parrots, then do not worry, this component is allowed, but in a limited amount. Use is not greasy, up to 9% fat.
Budgies are not recommended to give bread. This is due to the fact that it contains the following components:
- salt, sugar;
- genetically modified wheat may be used;
- sometimes there may be milk;
- can be made from rye flour.
These components negatively affect the state of the feathered. It is best to dry crackers from bread and mix them with other types of feed. They will go well with the egg-carrot mixture. But you should not abuse them, it will be enough to give them 2-3 times a month.
What can not feed budgies
Considering how to feed budgies, it is worth paying attention to prohibited foods, which in no case should be included in the diet of feathered pets. These include the following:
- salt. The feathered organism is simply not able to process this product on its own;
- spices, seasonings, spices. They can provoke severe health complications in the bird until its death;
- milk and derivatives. In order for this product to be normally absorbed, enzymes are required, which are absent in the body of parrots. In addition, it has a high level of fat content;
- bread. As it was written above, it is impossible for birds, because it contains yeast, sugar, salt, flour;
- mushrooms. They can have a negative effect on the activity of the digestive system;
- chocolate. It includes sugar and cocoa. These ingredients have an exciting effect on the feathered nervous system;
- do not include in the diet some types of vegetables – potatoes, radishes, eggplant, raw leguminous plants.
Feeding budgies is an important condition on which the full development of a feathered pet depends. It must be thought through from and to. Do not be irresponsible in compiling it, because the inclusion of a prohibited product can adversely affect the state of the bird. It is advisable to first consult with a veterinarian, he will be able to develop the most optimal scheme for feeding a parrot.
Leave a comment and share on social networks.