- What kind of fruit can parrots
- The parrot does not want to eat fruit: what is the reason
- How to train a parrot to fruit
- Parrot Berries
- What vegetables to give a parrot
- What vegetables are contraindicated for parrots
- What greens are good for parrots
Sometimes owners doubt which of the fruits can be given to parrots, and what should be discarded. Birds living in a natural environment, at the instinct level, distinguish edible fruits from poisonous ones. Do not deprive your feathered pet of delicious and healthy goodies – they are necessary for health. Bright, sweet delicacies can pamper the parrot, encourage him for good behavior.
What kind of fruit can parrots
Parrots can and should be fed with fruits: they are rich in vitamins, sugars, fiber, trace elements. The list of permitted fruits is impressive; it contains most types of fruit crops. It is permissible to include in the daily diet:
Feel free to give pears to parrots and apples grown in local gardens. Useful substances are concentrated in the peel, so it is undesirable to cut it off. Beautiful imported apples are also allowed, but they should be thoroughly washed with hot water.
Pineapple has a high content of vitamins, but this fruit is not so often on the table, but only on occasion. You can occasionally treat your pet with a ripe piece. Watermelons, melons are harmless only in August and September. Small bones do not need to be removed – birds love to split them. There is no reason to wonder if an orange can be a parrot. Citruses – a storehouse of vitamin C. Feathered willingly peck the white cortex and septum, do not disdain and juicy pulp.
Don’t take the risk of offering feathered papaya and mango. These fruits are harvested unripe in order to extend transportability. They contain substances harmful to birds. But pomegranate is useful for the intestines: if a feathered pet pecks the peel, it will not have inflammatory processes.
The parrot does not want to eat fruit: what is the reason
Parrots are curious, but they are afraid of the new. If the bird has never seen or tasted the fruit, it will be difficult to convince it to eat. Whatever form you offer delicious fruits, the feathered one simply ignores the treat. Also, not every fruit eats a parrot when it is sick.
How to train a parrot to fruit
When the chick is actively interested in everything around, you need to start feeding him fruit. But what if you bought an adult with character? A wayward pet can persistently refuse juicy dressing, and this will badly affect his health.
Like picky children, birds need to be taught new food gradually, patiently, unobtrusively. To experiment, to act not according to a pattern, to show ingenuity. There are many ways to outwit a cautious pet:
- Peel a ripe banana from the peel, squeeze the cereals from the dry food into the pulp and place it between the cage rods. Pulling out familiar food with his beak, the pet involuntarily tries a banana.
- Cut fruits or grate them, turn into mashed potatoes, squeeze juice. Make fruit salads. Different forms, consistency and color of food can attract birds.
- Mix small particles of fruit into the main feed. It is likely that along with the grain, your ward will grab a new product. Of course, such a mixture can not be left in the feeder for a long time, otherwise it will deteriorate.
- Take the fruit holders, hang them and place them inside the cage. A parrot can take a fruit "barbecue" on skewers for a toy. Perhaps playing, he swallows a piece and tastes the taste.
- Pour dried apricots, prunes, dry apples, figs with boiling water. Raw fruits may not please the bird, but they will love dried ones. Just not candied fruits – they have a lot of sugar.
One of the simplest methods to introduce a bird to eating fruit is to organize a collective feeding. In a single space of the cell, being next to its neighbors, the parrot will try to grab food before anyone else. Nothing if the cereal and juice are scattered around. Any share of the treat will still get into the stomach.
Parrots can eat not only fruits – they like to enjoy berries. Make sure that there are always fresh, dried or frozen fruits in stock:
In early summer, the season of fragrant strawberries begins. It contains vitamin C and antioxidants, so its benefits are undeniable. The answer to the question is, can a strawberry parrot be only positive if the amount of nitrates does not exceed the norm.
The bog gifts are tasty and healthy: cranberries, lingonberries, blueberries, cloudberries. Birds often peck berries, getting to the seeds – their favorite food.
All vitamins are stored in frozen berries, so this method of harvesting is best suited. Do not pour berries directly from the freezer into the feeder, let them melt, otherwise the bird will catch a cold. From dried berries you can cook compote without sugar. Fruit and berry bones are not garbage, they are needed for training and strengthening the beak. The birds are having fun by cracking their shells with their beaks.
What vegetables to give a parrot
Fresh vegetables are an essential element of poultry nutrition. It makes no sense to give boiled or stewed vegetables, as useful substances are lost during heat treatment. It will be great if you can not only teach the parrot to eat fruit, but also raw vegetables:
- carrots, it has a lot of vitamin A;
- turnip, able to replace apples with its sweetness;
- beets, valuable micronutrients;
- pumpkin having vitamins A, D, E, K;
- cucumber with its delicious seeds;
- zucchini rich in dietary fiber;
- tomato with antioxidant – lycopene;
- bell pepper.
If you doubt whether it is possible to eat cabbage to a budgie, feel free to take the head of cabbage for leaves and treat your pet. Cabbage is a vegetable of long storage; in the cold season, you can’t do without such feeding.
What vegetables are contraindicated for parrots
Some vegetables are very harmful to parrots. For example, daikon and radish taste too spicy. This also includes celery, onions and garlic – they contain essential oils that are difficult to digest in the bird’s stomach. In large quantities, these components can cause serious digestive system disease.
Raw eggplant is bitter, in addition, it contains solanine. True, there are practically no toxins in the white varieties of this vegetable. If you want to offer your pet eggplant, choose from white varieties. The potato has a lot of starch, hard to digest.
The best of vegetables for budgies are considered domestic grown without chemicals.
What greens are good for parrots
A balanced diet implies the presence of fresh grass. There is nothing complicated in supplying your pets with juicy green stems even in winter. Lime green grows beautifully in drawers on the windowsill, pleasing the eye with bright colors. In spring and summer, you can tear grass on the lawns at a distance from dusty roads:
The collected greens must be washed in running water, and the fleshy leaves also scalded with boiling water.
To maintain the health and cheerful mood of the parrot, perform your main task – feed it healthy and satisfying. Observe the behavior of the feathered pet, control the amount of food eaten, adjust the diet based on established habits. And do not forget about delicious fruits and vegetables.