In order for the parrot to be healthy, it is simply necessary to feed it with "live" products. These include uncrushed cereals, fruits and vegetables. And dead foods are all those that are stored for a long time, such as seeds and packaged nuts.
Nutrition is the main component of bird care; the life span of a pet directly depends on this. The better the food that the parrot feeds, the longer it can please you with its presence, and the bill goes on for decades!
Now let’s look at foods that contribute to the health and longevity of a parrot:
1) Vegetables: zucchini, fiber beans, peas, corn, germinated sprouts of sunflower, beans and seeds, broccoli, carrots (it is better to boil it a little) – this is all very useful. But it happens that many birds refuse to eat such food, then you can just try to sprout ordinary dry food. This is a more familiar food for parrots, and when germinated, it becomes more healthy and healthy, as it already has less fat and more amino acids.
2) Cereals: they are best sprouted independently at home, millet and quinoa are best suited for this. Many parrots are very fond of quinoa and unpolished boiled rice. Quinoa is a cereal that grows in South America. Those birds that come from these parts know its taste if they have tasted it in the wild. In any case, it is better for the bird to choose the food that grows in your pet’s natural habitat.
3) Fruits: they contain a lot of sugar, so you do not need to replace them with vegetables, which should make up most of the diet. Fruits should be present in food in small quantities. Most often, the parrot’s favorite treat is grapes. Before serving, it is advisable to wash all fruits with a special liquid to wash off all pesticides and harmful microorganisms from the surface. In no case do not give your pet strawberries (Victoria), since various carcinogens are usually used to grow it.
4) Seeds: always use only a good fresh mixture of seeds. If you doubt the quality of the seeds, then try to germinate them; good seeds germinate within a few days. If the seeds are not sprouted, then they are "dead", they no longer have any nutritional value. The number of seeds should be such that the bird does not refuse vegetables, because the seeds can be constantly in the trough, as they do not deteriorate.
5) Granular feed Now on the market there is a huge variety of such feed. There are different opinions about feeding parrots with granular food: some are delighted with this option, while others are horrified. But sometimes even the use of granular feed is possible, for example, during the breeding season, as the feed contains the necessary protein.
Food such as from our table (pasta, bread, boiled chicken and more) may be present in the parrot’s diet in a minimal amount. No need to feed the pet directly from the mouth or bite off pieces for it. In our mouth there are various bacteria that are not beneficial to the health of birds. Perishable foods should not be in the cage for more than an hour!
Parrots should not be given salty foods, such as chips or fried potatoes, as birds cannot remove excess salt from the body. Sometimes you can give crumbs from buns, cookies and other pastries, but do not get carried away too much, because they contain sugar, which is harmful to parrots – it causes hyperactivity.
And products such as chocolate, cocoa, tea and coffee contain a substance called theobromine, which causes a bird’s heart rhythm and death!
And the last warning is avocado: it is poisonous to many species of parrots, especially African ones. Therefore, it is better not to risk it and not feed him your pet.
These are simple rules, following which you take care of the health, duration and quality of life of your beloved parrot.