- What is the basis of the diet based on?
- Fresh vegetables, fruits and herbs on a budgie menu
- Drinking and mineral nutrition for parrots
- Some tips from experienced ornithologists
Many people think that bird parrots are not picky and therefore are ideal pets that can be kept at home without any problems. Yes, maybe they are not as whimsical as dogs, with which you need to regularly go for walks.
But at the same time, parrots need proper care, an important component of which is a well-chosen diet. And if you take care of the correct diet for the budgerigar, then provide your pet with full growth, development, good health and a long life.
What is the basis of the diet based on?
It’s no secret that the basis of the diet of any winged pets is grain feed. And if in the menu of large birds, differing from budgerigars by moderate metabolism, only a couple of types of grain can be present, then this will not be enough for wavy.
The correct diet of budgies includes crops that are rich in carbohydrates, fats and vitamins:
- canary seed;
- sunflower seeds;
- flax seeds;
- hemp grains.
And besides these cereal constituents, finished feed, as a rule, contains additional vitamin-mineral complexes.
Fresh vegetables, fruits and herbs on a budgie menu
A complete diet for the budgerigar should be built not only on grain feeds, but also vegetables, as well as fruits and herbs.
However, as statistics show, the highest concentration of a useful substance is found directly in fresh vegetables, fruits and herbs.
And besides, vitamin-mineral complexes in the form of feed additives do not always contain only components that are useful for the bird.
Vegetable component of the diet
Vegetables are necessary for the bird to fully develop and grow. You need to tame a parrot to vegetables from the first day of appearing in the house.
In the diet of parrots, which are kept at home, you need to include such vegetables:
- Bell pepper;
- squash and zucchini;
- white, cauliflower and Beijing cabbage;
Before you offer vegetables to a parrot, they must be thoroughly washed and cleaned of contaminants. This is especially true for those species that cannot be peeled – broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
Almost any vegetables can be present in the diet of fresh fruit. The exception is cabbage of all varieties, which must be scalded with boiling water before serving.
Fruits and berries on the wavy menu
Fruits and berries are a great natural source of vitamins for budgies.
And in order to diversify the diet of his feathered friend, you need to include in his menu such fruits and berries as: pineapples, apricots, quinces, cherries, lingonberries, grapes, raisins (no more than five pieces per day), bananas, watermelon (according to season), dried apricots, strawberries, cranberries, kiwi, blackberries, figs, melon, pomegranate, pears, raspberries, peach, nectarine, sea buckthorn, plums, mountain ash, blueberries, currants, dates, apples (sweet varieties).
The value of greens in the diet of a budgerigar
Green food is an essential component of the diet for birds.
So that the parrot saturates its body with useful substances, in its menu there should be such types of green food:
- vegetable tops – beets, carrots;
- Chinese cabbage;
- chicory salad;
- sprouted barley and wheat;
- wood lice
- stalks of kohlrabi;
- leaves of dandelion and sunflower;
It is important to remember that fresh fruits, vegetables and green food are not the basis of the diet of budgies, so you need to offer them as an addition to grain feed.
Feeding vegetables and fruits, a feathered pet can refuse a grain mixture, thereby depriving his body of much more important nutrients. Moreover, an excess of fruit in the diet of the wavy can provoke a violation of the digestive system of the bird.
Drinking and mineral nutrition for parrots
If we talk about parrots living in the wild, then the water for them is not as important as for birds, which are kept at home.
So, the water in the drinker of a domestic parrot should change every day. Veterinarians do not recommend giving feathered friends tap water, as well as boiled water. For these purposes, purified water is best suited.
Some experienced ornithologists give fortified water to their wavs by adding 3-5 drops of fruit juice to it.
It is also recommended to put mineral mixtures consisting of organic sand, limestone, limestone and charcoal in a separate container for feeding every day.
Some tips from experienced ornithologists
In order to ensure a complete diet for your winged pet, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- Do not let the bird starve. Otherwise, this can lead to the depletion of the body of the parrot, which will not affect the life span of the pet very well.
- Choose multi-component cereal feed. Monotonous food provokes vitamin deficiency and other diseases associated with a decrease in immunity in a parrot. And yes, it’s better not to buy mixtures of dubious quality (expired, damp, smelling bad, etc.).
- The food on the wavy menu should be at room temperature. Hot or cold food or drink can provoke a disturbance in the digestive system of the bird.
- In the diet of a parrot there should not be sour fruits, berries. Such products irritate the goiter and harm the kidneys of the pet.
- Spicy herbs are prohibited. Onions, basil, cilantro, garlic, dill, parsley, sorrel – all this should not be on the menu of poultry. As for dill and parsley, some owners of budgies offer these species of green food to their birds and note that they do not harm the body of the pet.
- Sunflower seeds, nuts in the diet of pernatics are limited to a few things per day. The increased amount of fat that is contained in these products places a heavy strain on the poultry liver.
- The leaves of indoor plants are dangerous for budgies, so make sure that your pet during your next walk through the expanses of your house does not accidentally grab something superfluous.
- Do not let the winged friend “walk” through your kitchen. Accidentally seized a piece of forbidden food, salt, pepper, sugar can very badly end for a parrot. And the included household appliances are extremely dangerous for flyers.
Take care of your pets, and they will surely please you with a good mood and give you positive emotions!