- Appearance, character and abilities
- How to choose and how much is a parrot
- Conditions of detention
- How to choose a home for a parrot
- Feeding and caring for birds
- Parenting, learning, games
- Disease predisposition
- Life expectancy and captive breeding
If your life has become boring and monotonous, and silence is annoying in the house, then it’s time to think about acquiring a red-feathered lory. This bird is distinguished not only by its bright colors, but also by its smartness, ability to imitate human speech and stunting. But with all this, be prepared for a sloven neighbor, after which you will have to clean several times a day. What else will this ward bring to your everyday life, what conditions he prefers and how many years he can live in captivity – we will discuss all this later in the article.
Appearance, character and abilities
Outwardly, Lori is distinguished by an unusual variety of bright color combinations in plumage and small size. And also they have very weak beaks, which can only do soft food. A characteristic feature of these exotic birds is a brush-shaped tongue. Specific growths cover it densely. Because of this, the species, like other representatives of the brush-speaking family, eats only food with a liquid and viscous consistency.
At first glance, Lori gives the impression of a powerful feathered. Its large and wide beak is often the cause of malnutrition, since beginners mistakenly believe that the ward can well cope with food of any hardness. But soon the exot turns out to be sissy.
His body in length reaches from 18 to 40 centimeters. Lorikeets, which differ in shorter length, are also quite common. In the wild, the species lives on the Australian, New Guinean, Indonesian and Philippine coasts. Zoologists distinguish up to 70 species of lorian parrots.
Their carnival color is fully explained by the way of life: feeding on the nectar of tropical flowers, the bird hides from predators among the variegated foliage of exotic flora.
A description of the nature of the red-striped parrots can be conveyed in just a few words: sluts and screamers. Although they are smart, playful, friendly, peaceful, but all these advantages are blocked by total sloppiness and love for loud unpleasant screams.
Loris love people, but they can find entertainment in solitude. To rid themselves of an unpleasant avian screech, experts advise to immediately begin to study human speech. To do this, it is enough for the bird to repeat the same word throughout the week. Then you can go to the next 2-3 or whole phrases.
How to choose and how much is a parrot
Conditions of detention
Given the size of the feathered, he will need a spacious cage in a cozy corner of the house. But at the same time, the bird will need to be periodically released for a walk in order to fly and stretch its wings.
Lori love warmth, high humidity and water. Therefore, the home will need to take care of the tropical climate. To do this, it is important at any time of the year to maintain the temperature at the level of 18-25 degrees Celsius and to establish bird baths daily. The water in them should be about 30-35 degrees.
How to choose a home for a parrot
A comfortable and spacious cage is the first thing that breeders need to think about before purchasing a bird. Let us consider in more detail the details that you need to pay attention to.
Dimensions and shape
According to experts, the bird cage should meet the following parameters:
- Dimensions – within 150x70x70 cm.
- Material – metal rods.
- Equipment – spools, feeders and drinking bowls.
- Additional accessories – toys, bathtub, swing and mirror.
Inside the enclosure, it is advisable to install a small plywood house for the night. Its size can be planned within 45x30x30 cm. You will also need a ten-centimeter letok.
Given the tendency of Lori to sloppiness, choose a dwelling with a sliding pallet for him. If you prefer to cover it with paper, then be sure to cover it with some kind of grate. Otherwise, the pet will ridicule the litter in an instant.
Feeding and caring for birds
Since in the wild this species of exotics prefers to feast on nectar of flowers, then at home the owners will have to try to please the ward. To do this, you need to choose only a liquid diet.
Lori is not moody, but love sweets. They will be happy to enjoy baby food and liquid cereals with honey, sugar or jam. Exotic fruits familiar to our latitudes and fresh juices from them will appeal to them. It is also necessary to indulge feathered with chopped pieces of boiled chicken meat, cracker of wheat bread, which must first be soaked in sweet tea or a honey drink.
A full and balanced diet cannot be achieved without spring dandelions, clover, flowering willow branches and fruit trees. The parrot will like swollen or blooming leafy buds.
Dry feed and cereals are allowed in small quantities.
Experts advise feeding the ward in small portions several times a day. It is also important that there is always fresh water in the drinker. Wash all equipment daily during cleaning.
Parenting, learning, games
Lorievic never express aggression towards people. Therefore, their education does not require much effort. Birds are very friendly even to strangers. The feeling of distrust towards them takes place only in the first minutes of acquaintance.
It is not at all difficult to tame such an exotism, and there is not much time required for the adaptation period. Within a month, in your house, the feathered one will take the place of the soul of the company and, undoubtedly, will take part in all your affairs (even if it does not cause you special enthusiasm).
We will not hide the fact that such birds will not sit idle in cages. These are naughty people who are ready for new adventures every day. And if you do not pay him the necessary attention, then Lori will occupy himself.
In the family, which the parrot perceives as a flock, he will certainly choose his favorite. All attention and love will be devoted to him.
Poultry farmers who have encountered this species of birds often compare them with small kittens. And all because wards more than anything else love to play, do all sorts of tricks with small balls, rings and tubes. Therefore, it is better for breeders to immediately get the right equipment. Otherwise, the bird will find toys for itself, and not the fact that they will survive after frisky fun.
Birds, which in our latitudes are “strangers,” quite often experience various diseases. However, they may be asymptomatic or with obvious signs. Consider the most common lory parrots:
- Feather loss or self-plucking. This disease is more prone to birds, which spend more time in cages. The reason for the development are stressful situations and the wrong microclimate in the room, boredom, the vital activity of parasites. In advanced forms, the disease becomes incurable.
- Obesity. It occurs in individuals that are kept in cramped conditions with abundant nutrition. It is necessary to review the conditions of the pet, otherwise it will lose its reproductive function and will gain cirrhosis.
- Constipation. It happens in pets who eat poor-quality food. It manifests itself in the strange behavior of a bird that crouches and constantly shakes its tail. Treatment is carried out by introducing 2-3 drops of vegetable oil into the anus and oral administration of 3-4 drops of castor oil.
- Salmonellosis It arises as a result of improper conditions of keeping and feeding birds. The therapeutic course is based on the intake of “sulfapiridazine”.
- Aspergillosis It affects the respiratory system of a pet with mold. The source of infection is most often food or unwashed feeders and drinkers. The development of the disease is indicated by rapid breathing, leakage from the nose, diarrhea, thirst.
- Tuberculosis. The causative agents of the disease enter the feathered organism through the air. At the initial stages of the development of the disease, there is no symptomatology. When the lungs and other organs are completely affected, the parrot loses weight dramatically, looks painful, often yawns and coughs. Tuberculosis in birds is not treated.
- Helminthiasis. The development of the disease can provoke dirt in the cell, infected food or contact with peddlers. To seek treatment, it is appropriate to seek the advice of an experienced veterinarian.
- Down-eaters. The presence of these parasites is evidenced by the frequent shaking of the parrot, ruffled feathers, the continuous search for parasites and poor appetite. To get rid of the problem, you need to disinfect the cell with boiling water and any insecticide, and its resident – “Pyrethrum”.
Life expectancy and captive breeding
With good care and good nutrition, Lori at home can live up to 20 years. It also reproduces well. For this, the owner must take care of the necessary conditions for the couple.
First of all, breeders will need to acquire a nesting house, which is installed directly in the cage. Note that in the range, birds prefer to nest in hollows at a height of half a meter and in depths of up to 30 centimeters.
Be sure to line the bottom of the nest with a mixture of sawdust and peat. Such a flooring will protect the chicks from excess moisture, excess odors and cold.
In all other respects, the pair is no different from other parrots. Lori requires love and patience. If you are able to give it, then the bird will certainly become a universal favorite in the family.